It’s Time to Bring Out the Repellent!
June has arrived and while the official beginning of summer is still a few weeks ahead, the bug season that goes with it is already here. There is no question as to whether you need to protect yourself from the harmful illnesses mosquitoes and ticks can spread, but there can be plenty of questions when it comes to how you should do it. We know when you are at home, you can count on the protection of our tick control and mosquito control treatments, but what about when you travel, hike, camp, or go on outdoor adventures?
Insect repellent is the most popular method, but with so many products out there, how do you choose the right one? Yahoo Lifestyle recently posted an article online detailing the top 6 insect repellents purchased on Amazon, so when you go on your summer outdoor adventures, you can be prepared with the best protection. Check them out:
- Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent: This product uses picaridin as its active ingredient, which has been approved by the EPA and CDC as a successful bug repellent. This particular product can be used on clothing as well as skin and works on mosquitoes for up to 14 hours, 8 hours for ticks, chiggers, flies, and fleas. One customer review claims it works better than other products containing DEET.
- Ben’s 30% DEET Insect Repellent Spray: As the name suggests, this product contains DEET, which is also approved by the EPA and CDC. Ben’s brand is not only on Amazon’s list of customer-approved but is also highly rated by Consumer Reports. An Amazon customer review called it simple to apply, not oily, and not too smelly. Good news, right?
- Repel Insect Repellent Sportsmen Max Formula: “My favorite product in the entire world!” claims one Amazon fan. The strong 40% dose of DEET has it lasting the entire day, which makes it a good choice for the true outdoorsmen.
- 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion: A product developed by the US Military, 3M Ultrathon proves to work in harsh environments. A thick lotion, this product is sweat-resistant, and its time released formula provides up to 12 hours of protection. One consumer writes, “This repellent lotion exceeded my expectations as I tried it first while in the woods during hot, humid summer days in the south. It was very effective.” Deep south woods is definitely a true testament to a bug repellent’s power.
- Repel Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent: This one is for those that really would rather avoid putting chemical-based repellents on their possibly sensitive skin. It doesn’t last as long as some of the others, only 6 hours, but for many, that is a full day. Consumer Reports calls it “the best of the natural sprays on the market.” A five-star reviewer on Amazon was pleased with this natural choice and commented that there is a strong smell, but it is not unpleasant.
- Off! FamilyCare Smooth & Dry Insect Repellent: This Johnson brand product is a reminder that the tried and true always stick around. The spray on formula comes on dry, and you really can’t feel it on your skin at all. The fact that it comes from a company that has been creating all sorts of products that we use daily at home is also a great basis for its appeal.
Outdoor Insect Protection at Home
These are some great choices for your time spent outdoors and especially for our clients that are always out in the woods, on the lake, or hiking the trails. You’ve got to protect yourself in whichever branch of wild you choose to visit. However, if your most desired outdoor spot is your own backyard how many times a day do you really want to stop and spray yourself with repellent?
Also, remember the review above? “strong but not unpleasant smell” That’s not a big deal in the woods, but at a nice backyard dinner you could be the smell that has those around you wondering who came straight from the deer hunt. How embarrassing!
Another thing to consider… how many times do you go in and out during a typical summer day? Are you going to spray up every time you spend a few minutes outside and then come in and shower every time you’re headed out somewhere? All that sounds like a lot of work. When you are at home, the how-to for protection is different but simple. Mosquito Squad of Southeastern Massachusetts’ professional protection from mosquitoes and ticks will rid your yard of these pests, and you’ll have no need to use anything to keep them off your skin because they just won’t be there. Our barrier treatment eliminates up to 90% of adult ticks and mosquitoes on contact. Call us today and eliminate your need for sticky, smelly repellents… even the best ones.