If you have read social media posts about how certain foods and drinks make you impervious to mosquito bites, you should know that it is all folklore.
Imagine planning your backyard soiree. The décor is perfect, the weather pristine. Your to-do list is complete, right down to the last menu item, and guests are set to arrive. Now imagine you took to heart the social media post you read about certain alcoholic beverages keeping mosquitoes away…and even though you have had two of those drinks already, you are still swatting mosquitoes. You have potentially set the perfect scene for a full-fledged mosquito assault on your guests!
The truth is, mosquito control near me in Ponte Vedra and Northeast Florida doesn’t start at your supermarket or your refrigerator.
Beer and wine will not repel mosquitoes.
In fact, drinking alcohol might make you more delectable to mosquitoes. Alcohol and certain foods make you produce more carbon dioxide, more commonly known as CO2, thereby attracting mosquitoes. Other foods, like avocadoes and salty foods will also have the same effect.
Female mosquitoes have nerve cells called cpA neurons that have a receptor to detect carbon dioxide. This enables them to sense the plumes of air we exhale that comes with the consumption of beer, wine, and alcoholic beverages, frequently enjoyed outdoors during our warmer months.
The bad news? Even when it’s not present, mosquitoes are still attracted to human skin even in the absence of carbon dioxide.
VapoRub should be used as directed, not as mosquito repellent.
If you are planning to wear eau de VapoRub parfum to your outdoor party, the only things you might repel are the people on your guest list. Even if this product did work effectively, which it doesn’t, it is not the most appealing fragrance.
If you want to wear something to have mosquito control near me, you want to wear something on your skin. But forget about the idea of dryer sheets, Skin So Soft by Avon, or VapoRub, and use DEET instead.
Repeated studies have shown that DEET is the only substance that is consistently effective in blocking mosquito bites over extended periods of time. While picaridin and oil of lemon eucalyptus have also been shown to repel mosquitoes, neither provides the same level of protection as DEET.
Mosquito control near me starts with you.
The mosquito control and elimination experts at Mosquito Squad encourage you to join the proactive fight by being conscientious about your surroundings – getting rid of outdoor items that attract those awful beasts.
We call it the 7 Ts of mosquito control near me. Here’s how it works:
1. Tip: Get rid of standing water in your outdoor spaces. Standing water may be in your child’s plastic toys, areas underneath downspouts, plant saucers, or dog bowls. Other areas may include tarps, gutters, and flat roofs.
2. Toss: Remove excess grass, leaves, firewood, and grass-clippings from your yard.
3. Turn: Turn over larger yard items that could hold water, like children's portable sandboxes, plastic toys, or birdbaths.
4. Remove Tarps: If tarps stretched over firewood piles, boats, or sports equipment aren't taut, they may be holding water that you should remove.
5. Take Care: Take care of home maintenance needs that can lead to standing water. This includes cleaning out gutters, making sure downspouts are adequately attached, keeping your grass cut low, and checking irrigation systems for leaks.
6. Team Up: Despite taking all precautions in your own home, talking to neighbors is a crucial component to mosquito and tick control. Homes with little space between lots can mean that mosquitoes breed at a neighbor’s house and affect your property.
7. Treat: Utilize a mosquito elimination barrier treatment around your home and yard.
Want true, effective mosquito protection? Search mosquito control near me.
During your outdoor party planning in the Ponte Vedra Beach area, search for mosquito control near me, and give Mosquito Squad of Northeast Florida a call for an effective special event mosquito control spray.
Northeast Florida mosquito control near me is best when you team up with Mosquito Squad. Our expert team protects you from dangerous mosquito bites in 4 ways:
Traditional Mosquito Barrier Treatment: Our Ponte Vedra mosquito control specialists will automatically return to your property every 21 days – all season long. This 3-week schedule is the best way to ensure your property receives continuous protection.
Natural Mosquito Treatment Option: Using Mother Nature’s blend of aromatic essential oils, we can prevent Ponte Vedra mosquitoes from causing you havoc with their annoying buzzing and dangerous bites.
Special Event Sprays: Don’t let mosquitoes ruin the fun of outdoor parties and celebrations. Prior to your big day, we’ll lay down a barrier treatment that eliminates and controls mosquitoes. It is designed to comply with local and federal guidelines, and all ingredients are registered with the Environmental Protection Agency.