Midwestern winters never seem to end, but one of the advantages is the lack of mosquitoes and ticks. But as soon as the snow melts away, you’re almost guaranteed to see ticks again. They don’t even wait for warm weather, just a little less cold.
The warmer it gets, the more active ticks get, typically congregating in shady, cool areas, tall grasses, woodlands, and leaf piles. If you live in a rural region or go for frequent hikes in the woods, you’re probably going to come into contact with these pesky insects more often.
Professional St. Louis Tick Control
It is tick season in St. Louis. Ticks are not only irritating, but they can also carry harmful diseases for pets and people. Ticks are responsible for more human diseases than any other insect in the United States, including Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. This is why it is imperative to take precautionary and sensible measures before things get out of control in your backyard.
Finding and Consulting a Tick Control Company
You might be wondering how to avoid tick bites or how to take the necessary steps to keep ticks out of your outdoor living space. There are various steps you can take to both prevent tick infestations in your yard and to avoid tick bites when you’re in untreated areas.
Personal tick safety is crucial, but sometimes you need to call in the professionals. A trusted tick control company with EPA-registered products can help reduce ticks throughout the warm season in St. Louis. For tick control steps, you can do follow the six Cs outlined below:
- Clear Out: Remove lawn and tree debris where ticks gather.
- Clean: Mow tall grass and eliminate leaf litter.
- Choose Plants: Be selective about your choice of plants, avoiding those that attract deer.
- Check Hiding Places: Ticks love fences, brick walls, and patio retaining walls—check in these areas to make sure they aren’t hiding on your property.
- Care for Family Pets: Talk to your veterinarian about tick collars, sprays, and vaccinations so that your dog and cat do not become carriers.
- Call the Pros: Consult a local tick control company for help! They will use a combination of barrier treatment and tick tube system.
We encourage you to take every precaution to avoid tick bites when spending time outdoors. But for your own property, Mosquito Squad of West St. Louis County is the best choice for all of your outdoor pest control needs, especially mosquitoes, ticks, and gnats. Our tick control services are your best choice for reducing ticks at home. Call today to request a free quote.