Mosquito bites are nigh unavoidable. There is science behind the itch caused by the bite of a mosquito and there are many ways to relieve the itch.
Luckily for us here in Nashville, we have Hendersonville mosquito control to protect us from the nuisance and associated dangers of mosquito bites.
When a mosquito bites us, the actual bumps and resulting itches “are caused by an immune response to mosquito saliva,” says Kara Wada, M.D., an allergist and immunologist at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
Why do mosquitoes in Hendersonville bite us?
Female mosquitoes need to eat human blood in order to get certain nutrients to develop eggs, to further their mosquito species. On the contrary, male mosquitos don’t feed on blood. Instead, they eat nectar.
The biting female mosquito has five needle-like structures that make up her mouthparts. Four of them are designed to draw blood, while one functions as a pump for saliva.
The saliva left behind as a result of the mosquito bite contains enzymes and anticoagulants that facilitate the uptake of the blood, as well as anesthetic substances which reduces the pain of the bite and prevents a defensive reaction from the host. After puncturing your skin with their mouthparts and feeding on your blood, mosquitoes leave hard, “itchy bumps” in their wake.
Medications used for mosquito bite relief:
If you’ve been bitten by a mosquito and you’re itchy, you have a few potential options for relief:
1. Doctors recommend using over-the-counter long-acting antihistamines like loratadine, cetirizine, or fexofenadine, according to directions.
2. Using a topical steroid cream, applied to the bite site.
3. If those mosquito bite solutions are not effective for you, speak to your doctor about a prescription strength steroid cream, if the reaction is that intense.
For natural, holistic mosquito bite relief from Hendersonville mosquito bites, these solutions have been reviewed by the medical community.
1. Oatmeal: Oatmeal can relieve itching and swelling because it contains special compounds that have anti-irritant qualities.
2. Crushed ice: Cold temperatures and ice can reduce inflammation.
3. Honey: It has many antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Aloe vera: To release its anti-inflammatory properties, cut open a small section of the plant and apply the plant’s gel to the area that’s irritated. Let it dry, and apply again as needed.
5. Baking soda: This kitchen staple may also provide relief. Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with just enough water to create a paste. Apply it to the bug bite, and let it sit for 10 minutes before washing it away.
6. Basil: A chemical compound called eugenol, which is found in basil, can relieve itchy skin.
7. Vinegar: Apply a drop of vinegar. It can help reduce stinging and burning sensations. It can also act as a natural disinfectant if you’ve been scratching too much.
Avoid the itch with effective Hendersonville mosquito control.
With Mosquito Squad, you have your choice to protect your yard from mosquitoes, either with our traditional mosquito control yard spray or the natural way with essential oils.
Ditch the itch! Help prevent mosquito bites with Hendersonville mosquito control. Call Mosquito Squad of Nashville to begin your spray regimen at 615-492-3662.