Mosquitoes prefer humans over animals — but why exactly? Ultimately, there are several reasons why this is the case.
3 Reasons Why Mosquitoes Prefer Humans Over Animals
1. Humans Emit Body Odors.
Mosquitoes can be attracted to compounds on human skin and in sweat. Body odor varies based on the person. This means body odor can make some people more attractive to mosquitoes than others.
2. Mosquitoes Are Drawn to Certain Colors More Than Others.
Humans pick and choose the apparel and accessories they wear. And what you wear can impact how much mosquitoes are attracted to you.
Research indicates mosquitoes may be more drawn to people wearing black clothing than those wearing apparel of other colors. Thus, if you want to avoid mosquito bites, you may want to wear any color besides black.
3. Mosquitoes Can Detect Heat and Water Vapor.
The human body generates heat, and a person's water vapor level varies based on the surrounding temperature. Meanwhile, mosquitoes can detect heat and water vapor. A mosquito may be more prone to bite if a person's body temperature or water vapor level is high.
What Is the Best Mosquito Control Option for Humans?
There are several tried-and-true mosquito control techniques that you can use to combat mosquitoes. These include:
- Get rid of standing water. Mosquitoes tend to populate in standing water, so you should remove wheelbarrows, outdoor water toys, and other items on your property that can collect water.
- Clear debris from your gutters. Standing water can collect in gutters. As such, you should keep a close eye on your gutters and remove debris from them regularly.
- Trim your grass. High grass can lead to uneven terrain, along with dips in the ground where standing water can collect. Mow the lawn, keep your hedges low, and perform lawn care and maintenance frequently.
- Use a fan. Mosquitoes have trouble flying near a fan that's blowing at a steady speed. Run a fan during the day and at night to keep mosquitoes at bay.
- Dress for success. Along with avoiding dark-colored clothing, wear long-sleeved apparel whenever you're outdoors in an area where mosquitoes may be present. That way, there are fewer areas for mosquitoes to bite you.
In addition to these tips, partnering with a first-rate mosquito control company can be beneficial. This allows you to receive a mosquito barrier treatment that delivers instant results.
A mosquito control company can apply a mosquito barrier treatment across your property. Once it does, the treatment can reduce the mosquito population on your property for a few weeks. If you receive ongoing mosquito treatments, you can limit the population of mosquitoes on your property moving forward.
Get a Top-Notch Mosquito Control Treatment from Mosquito Squad of El Paso
Since mosquitoes love to bite humans over animals, it is best to protect yourself using the 7 T's of mosquito control to prevent ample reproducing conditions for mosquitoes. Mosquito Squad of El Paso can reduce the mosquitoes on your property by 85%-90%, and the treatment lasts up to three weeks. Contact us online or call us today at (915) 800-0343 for your free quote.