As a warm day turns into a cool evening, a familiar annoyance arises: the incessant buzzing and biting of mosquitoes. These tiny insects seem to have an uncanny ability to ruin peaceful nights. But why does it seem like you don’t have to worry about mosquitoes as much during the daytime? Let’s delve into why mosquitoes come out in the dark and how they’re masters at finding their next bite at night!
First Off, Can Mosquitoes See in the Dark?
Mosquitoes can see in the dark. That’s why they’re so good at hunting at night! Mosquitoes have specialized vision perceived in black and white and can make out shapes, especially during dimmer hours. Their eyes have many lenses, making it possible for them to see in multiple directions at once. During the day, their eyes are not as effective, due to bright sunlight hindering their perception of shapes. However, at night, their eyes become more sensitive to movement and heat, allowing them to locate warm-blooded hosts in the darkness.
Mosquitoes can also sense potential hosts based on scents such as floral perfumes, and even substances that humans cannot detect, such as carbon dioxide. With their keen sense of smell and special vision, mosquitoes don’t require light to find you.
It may still seem that mosquitoes could effectively hunt during the day, even if their sight is a bit contorted by the light, but there’s more than just improved vision that makes many mosquitoes nocturnal hunters.
Why Are Mosquitoes Active at Night?
Mosquitoes tend to be the least active during the day when it’s dry and hot because they need to avoid overheating and dehydration. Night and morning are the coolest times for them to lurk for food. Many species are active at dawn after they’ve waited all night for easier access to potential hosts and are ready to feast. Others prefer dusk, after they’ve been resting in the shade during the heat of the day.
Why Do Mosquito Bites Itch More at Night?
A number of factors, including your body temperature and even distraction levels, can influence how itchy a mosquito bite feels. Because body temperatures tend to rise during the night due to increased blood flow and metabolic activity, you may experience a greater release of histamine, a chemical compound released by the immune system in response to allergens. Histamine triggers your itch response, and your mosquito bite becomes more bothersome. Your bite may also feel itchier at night because during the day you’re often engaged in various activities, which can distract you from the itchiness.
How to Keep Mosquitoes Away at Night
If you’re getting mosquito bites at night, protect yourself with professional mosquito control services, barriers such as screens, and LED lights. These ideas and the others below can help you fight the bite!
Try some more of our mosquito safety tips for evenings outside:
- Use professional mosquito control. A traditional barrier treatment spray from Mosquito Squad keeps mosquitoes away for up to 21 days, and our natural mosquito treatment effectively keeps mosquitoes away for 2-3 weeks. Enjoy your yard without mosquito bites from day to night!
- Install protective barriers like mosquito nets or screens around patios, porches, and outdoor seating areas to stay protected while enjoying fresh evening air.
- Use essential oils such as lemon, lavender, or peppermint on your skin or clothing to deter mosquitoes.
- Wear protective clothing that’s loose-fitting and light-colored. (Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors.) Don’t forget socks!
- Use outdoor lighting strategically, as mosquitoes are attracted to some types of light. Choose yellow or LED lights, as they are less attractive to mosquitoes compared to traditional incandescent bulbs. Position lights away from gathering areas. Contact Mister Sparky for professional outdoor lighting installation!
Enjoy Your Yard All Night Long
With the right strategies, you can keep mosquitoes at bay and enjoy your outdoor activities at night. Consistency is key, so make mosquito control a regular part of your routine to ensure the most effective results. For guaranteed professional mosquito control services that you can trust, contact Mosquito Squad for a free quote, or call us at (877) 332-2239!