Bugs are one of the last things you want to think about when you’re vacationing. Some bugs are unavoidable, but if you’re looking for a place with a low risk of itchy mosquito bites, you’ll be happy to know that there are destinations with few mosquitoes!
Are There Any Places Without Mosquitoes?
There are only two known places with no mosquitoes: Antarctica and Iceland. The conditions in Antarctica are not fit for mosquitoes, as there is not enough food, places to burrow, or warm conditions for flying. But Antarctica may not be at the top of your travel dream list. While there isn’t a definitive reason that mosquitoes have not taken up residence in Iceland, this is a perfect destination to choose if you want to watch the northern lights, bathe in hot springs and explore free of any pesky mosquitoes.
Where Are There No Mosquitoes in the US?
If you’re looking to travel a bit more locally, there are cities in the US where you can enjoy outdoor activities and mostly avoid bug bites. Places without mosquitoes in the US tend to include areas with low humidity, high elevation, and more rainfall.
Some destinations with few mosquitoes in the US include:
- Sedona, Arizona—This is one of the best hot places without mosquitoes because its desert climate keeps the pest away. The picturesque settings and attractions make it a fun place to explore for days! Enjoy outdoor activities like mountain biking and hiking without worrying about getting many mosquito bites.
- Portland, Oregon—Traveling in the Pacific Northwest is a great way to avoid swarms of mosquitoes. The cooler temperatures and common rainfall keep the pests from multiplying quickly. Try Portland if you’re looking to avoid a desert climate and enjoy a bustling area full of culture, great food, and limited mosquitoes.
- Kailua-Kona, Hawaii—For another hot place without many mosquitoes, try Hawaii! The islands have acidic land and little standing water, conditions that make it hard for mosquitoes to thrive. Areas with strong ocean breezes and/or higher elevations, like Kona, also have a lower chance of bug bites.
Places Without Mosquitoes Outside of the US
If you prefer to get out of the US for a holiday and you’re not interested in Iceland, there are other popular travel destinations abroad with limited mosquitoes, including these:
- London, England—London’s rainy conditions and cool temperatures keep it from becoming an ideal mosquito breeding ground. Visit London to enjoy the city’s many historical treasures, shopping, and limited bugs!
- Puebla, Mexico—Visiting high-elevated climates is another way to stay away from mosquitoes. Try visiting Puebla if you’re looking for a sunny destination.
- Chile—Throughout the country are many gorgeous coastlines and mountainous regions with cool temperatures. This makes it an interesting place to explore, as you can quickly go from a beach to a mountain climate, all while avoiding significant mosquito bites.
In short, this is how to avoid mosquitos while traveling: Visit somewhere in the mountains or the desert, or places with cooler weather, ocean breezes, excessive rain, or limited standing water.
Enjoy a Mosquito-Free Holiday
To relax without many mosquitoes, you don’t have to travel a long distance. In fact, you can enjoy a staycation in your own yard by controlling mosquitoes with the help of Mosquito Squad. One mosquito barrier treatment provides up to 21 days of peace from the nuisance of mosquitoes. To learn more about protecting your yard against mosquitoes, find a location near you or call the squad at (877) 332-2239.