Frequently Asked Questions
Where do ticks live in your yard?
Ticks tend to hang out in shady spots closer to the ground. They’re attracted to weeds, tall grasses, low-lying shrubs, and the outer edge of grasslands near lawns.
Other common areas where ticks can be found include:
- Wood piles
- Wooded areas
- Stone walls
- Leaf piles
- Fallen and low-hanging tree branches
- Overgrown shrubs
- Bird feeders
Ticks cannot jump or fly – they attach to humans by direct contact. Once a tick finds skin, it usually climbs to a protected and warm area to latch onto, such as a head or armpits.
Are ticks dangerous?
They can be. Ticks are the primary carrier of human-contracted Lyme Disease. Over the past decade, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reported approximately 30,000 new cases of Lyme Disease each year. The symptoms include severe fatigue, rashes, fever, joint pain, and chronic illness. If the disease is caught early enough, antibiotics can alleviate symptoms.
Dogs and cats are equally if not more susceptible to tick-borne Lyme Disease, due to their active lifestyles and low-to-the-ground physiques.
Other tick-borne diseases include:
What is the cost of tick control services?
The prices of tick control services vary depending on the square footage of the treated area, the frequency of treatment, and the specific tick control option you choose. You can count on Mosquito Squad’s customized free quote to be competitive and fair.
How to keep ticks away naturally:
These are steps you can take to naturally reduce the areas in your yard where ticks can thrive:
- Clearing tall grass and brush
- Removing leaf litter
- Frequently mowing the lawn
- Creating a three-foot-wide barrier between your property and wooded areas
- Keeping playgrounds, decks, and patios away from the edge of your yard
- Constructing a fence to keep out wandering rodents, deer, and other animals
- Removing clutter and debris
- Planting tick repellents around your yard such as garlic, lavender, chrysanthemum, catnip, sage, and eucalyptus
If you’re looking for a natural tick control service, try our natural mosquito and tick treatment option. With a non-toxic and non-synthetic formula, this natural treatment utilizes essential oils to repel ticks.