Have 30 seconds? Here’s what you need to know about the Zika virus.
• The private sector is stepping in to provide funding for anti-Zika efforts, as public money falls short (USA Today)
• Scientists are baffled by how Zika has played out in Latin America, in particular by the pattern of babies born with Zika-related microcephaly (Washington Post)
• Mosquitoes infected with the Wolbachia bacteria will be released in an attempt to combat diseases spread by the insects, including Zika (STAT)
• In times of economic crisis, diseases like Zika thrive (_STAT_"Link text":https://www.statnews.com/2016/10/28/zika-puerto-rico-mosquitoes-economy/)
• A consortium of 25 universities and public health institutions has launched ZikaPLAN to combat the virus. Among its goals is to fill in knowledge gaps and build sustainable response capacity in Latin America for Zika and other emerging diseases (press release)
• Florida has another Zika “hot zone,” but some fear it’s not getting enough attention (AP)
Source: STAT News