May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month, a time to raise awareness about this tick-borne illness and its impact on individuals and families. Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi, which is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected black-legged and deer ticks. These ticks are found in wooded and grassy areas in the eastern and midwestern United States, as well as in Canada and Europe.
The most common symptom of Lyme disease is a circular red skin rash that appears at the site of the tick bite. This rash, called erythema migrans, can appear anywhere from 3 to 30 days after the bite. Other symptoms of Lyme disease can include fever, headache, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, and neck stiffness. In some cases, Lyme disease can cause more serious problems, such as arthritis, heart problems, and neurological problems.
If you think you may have Lyme disease, it is vital to see a doctor right away. Early diagnosis and treatment are essential for preventing serious complications. Treatment for Lyme disease usually involves antibiotics.
There are a number of things you can do to protect yourself from Lyme disease:
- Call Mosquito Squad of Grand Rapids to protect your yard from ticks.
- Avoid areas where ticks are likely to be found.
- Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts when you are outdoors.
- Tuck your pants into your socks and your shirt into your pants.
- Use insect repellent that contains DEET.
- Check yourself and your children for ticks after being outdoors.
- Remove any ticks you find as soon as possible.
By following these tips, you can help protect yourself from Lyme disease.
How to Raise Awareness During Lyme Disease Awareness Month
There are a number of ways you can raise awareness during Lyme Disease Awareness Month. You can:
- Wear a Lyme Disease awareness ribbon.
- Talk to your friends and family about Lyme disease.
- Donate to a Lyme disease organization.
- Volunteer your time at a Lyme disease organization.
By getting involved in Lyme Disease Awareness Month, you can help raise awareness about this important issue and help prevent others from getting sick.
Mosquito Squad is here to help!
Mosquito Squad of Grand Rapids has been helping protect your neighbors' homes since 2005! Our highly trained technicians use our barrier treatment to provide dual defense against mosquitoes and ticks. With each spray, we target areas that are common for ticks to inhabit to provide you with proactive protection throughout the season.
We prioritize keeping you and your family safe from these disease-carrying parasites and want you to safely enjoy your yard! Give Mosquito Squad of Grand Rapids a call today at (616) 920-8069 or contact us online so we can start working together on abating any tick nuisance you might be experiencing.