Warm and humid climates are the best environment for fleas to thrive. This makes Wilmington a flea heaven. All summer long fleas will be persistent in your yard, on your pet and in your house. Without the proper care and prevention you are at risk for continued re-infestation. Whether it is from a flea down the street jumping on your dog or from improper treatment, getting rid of the pesky critters can be quite an ordeal.
5 Annoying Facts About Fleas
- A female flea can lay 40-50 eggs every day and 400 eggs in her lifetime.
- Fleas can stay in the pupa stage for up to 8 months waiting for the right conditions to become an adult. (This is a common cause for re-infestation.)
- Fleas can jump more than 200x their length. Making it easy to jump to a new host.
- Fleas actually dissolve skin with their saliva so that they can eat a blood meal.
- Flea bodies have a hard outer shell making them difficult to crush.
3 Not-so-Funny Flea Myths
Turns out they can really jump, but no, they do not fly.
Fleas only live on animals.
Fleas can live in your carpets, bedding, pet beds and upholstery. If your pet has fleas make sure you treat your home to get rid of any flea eggs or flea larvae they may have stashed in your house.
Once you treat your pet, home and yard the fleas are gone.
With flea eggs and flea larvae in the mix it is best to treat your home, pet and yard multiple times over the course of six months to take care of new hatchlings and emerged adults.
Flea Control in Wilmington NC
Keep fleas out of your yard with flea and tick control from Mosquito Squad of Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. Our flea and tick spray will create a barrier around the perimeter of your yard eliminating fleas on contact and repelling fleas from entering your yard. If fleas have laid their eggs in your yard our spray will keep them from hatching, ending the flea life cycle at the very first stage. Combined with flea control treatment for your pet, fleas won’t stand a change at your Myrtle Beach home. We’ll come out and spray every 3 weeks all summer long to keep your Carolina summer flea free.