South Texas, especially areas like Victoria, Texas and surrounding communities are no stranger to mosquitoes. The humidity that we all know and love so much (ha!) is very attractive to the mosquito population. With spring here and the weather heating up for the long-term, these winged pests are not going anywhere and are only going to get more and more bothersome. Taking preventative measures and putting together a plan to keep your yard free of mosquitoes now, rather than waiting until the problem is out of control is the smartest move you can make!
While enjoying a day smoking a brisket and an afternoon grilling hot dogs with the kids without annoying uninvited guests is an important reason to get rid of the threat of mosquitoes, more important is the health of your family. In recent years Zika has been big news and a cause for concern when it comes to mosquitoes. According to the CDC, a confirmed case of mosquito contracted Zika was confirmed in South Texas in November 2016 and Dengue Fever outbreaks have occurred in the Brownsville area in recent years. With mosquito season heating up, you don’t want to take any chances.
In addition to Zika, it looks like Yellow Fever may be back as well. The unexpected outbreak in Brazil has U.S. officials on edge and watching the situation closely. Though it hasn’t happened yet, the concern of an outbreak in an urban area is a big concern of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases according to Director Anthony Fauci.
There are a few things you can do to help cut down on the number of mosquitoes around your yard this year. Here are some of our best tips to help you get through the spring and summer months with fewer bugs and a lot more fun!
- Clean Your Gutters- An often missed reason for mosquitoes to gather, clogged gutters allow for standing water in places where you cannot see it forming. This creates a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes that you may never be aware of.
- Keep your lawn mowed - We know it gets hot! Like REALLY hot in South Texas and it can be hard, but keeping the grass cut is imperative to keeping mosquitoes from gathering on overgrown vegetation and weeds.
- Have Your Yard Sprayed - Working with a professional like Mosquito Squad to have your yard sprayed is the ideal way to take care of your mosquito control. If you set up your schedule with a professional, you don’t have to worry about forgetting or spraying at the last minute which can result in a chemical smell to your barbecue and not enough time for the spray to dry or be effective. A professional mosquito treatment is more effective because the equipment pros use is suited to cover a large area with minimal drying time and best results. You never can know what exactly is in the store-bought sprays either, but you know Mosquito Squad only uses spray that is safe for your family and pets.
- Clean and Chlorinate Pools - Even if you’re going out of town and during winter months when they may not be used, make sure to continue to care for your pool. Particularly with how warm winter has been, there is an opportunity for mosquitoes to use pools as a veritable hatchery.
- Avoid Standing Water - Check your yard for any spots that do not drain after rain and make sure anything like pools, buckets, fountains or planters from last spring aren’t sitting collecting water and creating a mosquito hazard.
- Get a Mosquito Misting System - Didn’t know this was an option? You’re not alone. Many people in South Texas don’t realize that they can have a mosquito misting system put in place to help keep their homes virtually mosquito free all year ‘round. It’s the best way to say biting bugs are not welcome here! Mosquito Squad of Victoria will install, winterize and prep your system every year. We service our installations as well, so if there are ever any quick fixes that need to be made, we’ve got you covered! Check our page for special offers on misting systems or treatment plans!
Mosquito Squad of Victoria wants to help you enjoy your yard throughout the spring and summer while helping you to ensure your family stays safe from dangerous diseases. We have packages to accommodate the needs of homeowners across South Texas and the Texas coast. Contact us today to start your mosquito control plan for the year! Call us today and start enjoying your yard again today!