West Nile Virus is Making Itself Known Across Texas

Author: Mosquito Squad of St. Petersburg - Clearwater

WNV In Mosquitoes

Mosquito samples across Central Texas are testing positive for West Nile virus. Statesman.com has reported that mosquitoes tested positive for West Nile virus in Taylor, Cedar Park, and Barton Creek Greenbelt. Infected mosquitoes are making their way across our state. It is quite possible there are mosquitoes infected with West Nile right around where you live.

WNV In Humans Here in Texas

Houston’s CW39 has reported a case of West Nile Virus in a 60-year-old man in Montgomery County. This is the second human case in Montgomery this year. The man remains in the hospital. There are also human cases in Austin and Galveston Counties. As more mosquitoes test positive for West Nile, more human cases become likely. They may not be in counties close to us yet, however it most likely won’t be long.

West Nile Virus Prevention

West Nile virus can be dangerous to humans. While 80% won’t show symptoms at all, the other 20% have no idea ahead of time that it’s going to make them very sick. The mild cases come with fever, aches, maybe a rash. Less than 1% of those that do get sick will become very ill. Their symptoms can include high fever, neck stiffness, headache, coma, seizures, paralysis, even death. The very sick that survive may deal with symptoms for the rest of their lives.

So while 1% may not seem like very much to you, what if it was you? There is no way to know how sick you might become until it happens. Why risk it? With West Nile Virus showing up more and more it is important to recognize that protection against mosquito bites has become a necessity for the sake of health, not just to prevent annoyance.

The Center for Disease control says that to avoid illnesses like West Nile you must keep from getting bitten by mosquitoes. DEET, picaridin, IR3535, and oil of lemon eucalyptus are the best mosquito deterrents when you are outdoors. You really shouldn’t be out in uncontrolled spaces without one of these products on.

It’s also vital to keep our yards free from the containers that can hold standing water and create mosquito breeding grounds. Keeping the population of mosquitoes down helps to keep the diseases they carry from spreading.

However, this fight isn’t one that you have to fight alone. Mosquito Squad of South Central Texas wants to help. Our barrier spray eliminates 85-90% of mosquitoes in your yard and continues to work for up to 3 weeks. Fewer mosquitoes in your yard, fewer mosquito bites, lower chance for mosquito-borne disease. ANDno need to wear those awful, sticky, smelly repellents in your own backyard. Let’s face it, when we are at home we just want to be comfortable. Mosquito Squad’s mosquito control services can add to that level of comfort. Call us today to schedule your service. You’ll be glad you did.