Mosquito facts you may not have known:
- Female mosquitoes bite, not males.
- A male mosquito’s lifespan is just 7-10 days.
- Mosquito magnet? Some scientists believe that mosquitoes go after people with higher lactic acid and co2 levels in their bodies.
- Mosquito bites can be dangerous for dogs. The only way a dog can contract heartworm is through a mosquito.
- Mosquitoes kill more people than any animal per year.
- Zombie mosquitoes! Larvae can lay dormant for up to 7 years without water.
- A single mosquito with 1 soda bottle cap full of water can yield 1 billion mosquitoes in 1 month.
How much do you know about ticks?
- One bite for life: ticks only feed 1 time in their life cycle.
- Ticks will crawl over a pile of snow for a blood meal.
- Tick larvae only have 6 legs, the other 2 grow in later.
- Next to mosquitoes, ticks reportedly transmit the most diseases to humans and animals.
Whether you found these facts fun or icky, one thing is sure – you want them away from you and your family!
Call Mosquito Squad for customized tick and mosquito control in Fairfield County and Westchester County.