- Get A Free Quote or
- Call Today!
Louisville Mosquito Facts
Important Things to Know About Mosquitoes in Kentucky
In Kentucky, mosquito season goes from early April to late September. That’s half the year and an awfully good case for knowing as much as you can about these little pests. In 2012, there were 20 cases of West Nile reported in Kentucky. Wet hot weather, like this year’s, causes an increased mosquito population. Accuweather.com reports mosquito activity presently at “very high.” This kind of mosquito activity makes the need for protection high as well. Not only from the simple aggravation but also from the diseases they carry. Information makes protection easier.
Mosquito Facts – Some Surprising!
- Mosquitos have been around a long time. Mosquitoes have been on this earth for more than 200 million years. Apparently, they are harder to kill off than a dinosaur.
- There are lots of them. There are 3,500 species of mosquitoes worldwide, 200 in the United States, and 60 right here in Kentucky.
- Mosquitoes are dangerous. They carry diseases such as dengue fever, malaria, EEE, Zika virus, and yellow fever. Dangerous may actually be an understatement. Mosquitoes are the most deadly animal in the world, killing approximately three-quarters of a million people annually. That’s almost double the runner-up… humans.
- Only females bite. That’s right. It’s the women that are the enemy. They need to feed on blood to lay eggs.
- Mosquitoes are quick for their size. They fly at a rate of up to 1.5 miles per hour. Humans walk at an average rate of 3.1 miles per hour. So in comparison that’s amazing.
- They are baby makers. Female mosquitoes can lay up to 300 eggs at a time. That’s one busy mama!
- Apparently, they are tasty snacks. Bats can eat up to 200 mosquitoes a night and birds 500 in a day. Well…. Yuck!
That’s pretty interesting stuff, but the most important fact that we can bring you about mosquitoes is that professional mosquito protection is the best way to keep them out of your yard. Mosquito Squad of Louisville’s barrier treatment will eliminate 85-90% of the mosquitoes in your yard and make these truly just fun facts instead of needed information. Call us today at (502) 443-9889 for more information about our services!
Every Job Is 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. It’s Our Promise.
If you are not fully satisfied with your Mosquito Control or Misting System, contact your Mosquito Squad office and we will make it right!About Our Guarantee