Are you that house with the knee-high grass, the birdbath that hasn’t had fresh water replaced in a year, and flowerpots full of nothing but water scattered all around? If you answered yes to this then you definitely need to do some mosquito control landscaping.
Cut the grass, rake the yard, and dump those pots! If this is you then you are just asking for a Mosquito infestation!
But realistically, this probably isn’t you. *You’re the one with the impeccable yard that you’d really like to be able to enjoy, but still, you have mosquitoes. So online you go to research plants that repel mosquitoes. You’ll find a long list, but you’ve got to wonder if these are really the best idea. We’ve listed a few of them here along with a little food for thought:
- Climbing Hydrangeas – White flowers, looks pretty. But do you have something they can climb or are you going to have to build a trellis now too? AND they can grow up to 50 feet… sounds like lots of pruning work in the future.
- Coral honeysuckle – “Can perfume your entire garden” according to Country Living magazine. Allergies? Sneezing? Me too.
- Wisteria – Have you seen this stuff? It takes over trees! Like kudzu with purple flowers. Just say no!
- Hops – Yes… as in beer. Very distinctive smell.
- Hyacinth bean – It’s a pretty plant, becomes covered with bean pods in the fall. Wonder where those end up? Get the rake!
- The basic smelly plants – Rosemary, Basil, Citronella, Marigold, Lavender: they do just that… smell. Even if you don’t mind or even like the smell, it doesn’t mean your guests will. Your next BBQ may be your last.
Landscaping for mosquito control by choosing mosquito-repelling plants really isn’t practical. Not only for the reasons listed above, but also because they haven’t proven terribly effective. For a plant to repel a mosquito you must be sitting right beside it. Therefore for it to work in the entire yard you have to fill it with nothing but these types of plants.
Suddenly your beautiful yard and garden are no longer that… nor is it the garden of your own choosing. Be sensible. Choose professional mosquito protection. Mosquito Squad of Louisville can eliminate up to 90% of the mosquitoes in your yard. Our time-released mosquito treatment to work for up to 3 weeks. There’s simply no reason to let mosquitoes dictate what goes in your yard. Call to schedule a treatment appointment today. Plant what you want and leave the skeeters to us!