If you remember how oblivious you were as a child to areas prone to mosquitoes, then it's easy to understand why your children get bitten so often. It's not that they attract mosquitoes more, but just the fields and sections of the community in which they choose to play.
That's ok! What you can do is ensure that you first utilize a Dewitt Mosquito Spraying service for your home and environs and apply skin mosquito repellent to your children.
Ways to Prevent Mosquitoes From Biting My Children
- Use Repellants: Over the age of two months, apply insect repellent sparingly to the skin of children who are exposed to insects. Most commonly used pesticides contain the chemical DEET, which prevents mosquito, tick, and spider bites in youngsters. DEET concentrations must not exceed 30%
- Cover up the Kids: Insect-infested areas need the use of long-sleeved shirts as well as long pants for your child. Insects can be drawn to bright colors, so be careful
- Treat Their Clothing: Apply permethrin, a sort of mosquito repellent that also performs well against ticks, to their clothing(not on their skin) before heading out in the woods. It normally lasts for a few washes before needing to be replaced
- Avoid Mosquito Habitats: Do your best to avoid places where mosquitoes gather, such as garbage receptacles, small lakes of water, unprotected food (particularly sweets), and gardens. Mosquitoes thrive in stagnant water, so remove any that may be lying about your yard or house
- Avoid Outdoors When Mosquitoes are Active: When mosquitoes are at their most active, wait until after morning to walk outside and come inside after dusk
- Sealing Your House Is Essential: Use screens on the windows and doors to prevent mosquitoes among other flying insects from entering your home
How to Treat Mosquito Bites on My Children
The best thing you can do if a mosquito bites your child is to gently brush it away, then apply ice to the area to reduce itching and swelling.
If necessary, treat the bite with hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion.
Encourage them not to scratch
Fingernails can penetrate the area around their wound, allowing bacteria to enter. Keep their fingernails cut short and tell them that scratching will only make it worse.
Always Look for Symptoms of an Illness
In Lansing, Michigan mosquitoes can transmit disease, especially the West Nile virus. While four out of every five individuals won't get sick from mosquito bites, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), says to always stay alert. Symptoms for which you should look out and contact your child's doctor include:
- Nausea and
Contact the Mosquito Squad of Lansing today at (517) 798-8681 or get a quote online so we can help you keep your environment safe for the children to play day and night. We know the seriousness of the mosquito situation in Lansing.
Therefore, our Professional technicians will thoroughly examine the area to ensure the ideal treatment. We offer both Barrier Treatment all-natural treatment, but will always let you know which is more effective for your situation.