Marylanders know that the mosquitoes are biting and will only be getting worse this summer. We’re happy to share some simple DIY mosquito control tips that homeowners can use to reduce the bugs/mosquitoes on their property and likelihood of bites, even before calling in Mosquito Squad professionals.
- Grow plants that naturally repel bugs. Use potted plants or grow in your own garden or landscaping. The following plants have been known to naturally deter mosquitoes and other pesky bugs: Garlic, Marigold, Geranium, Chrysanthemum, Rosemary, Catnip, Ageratum, Lemon Eucalyptus, Citronella, Horsemint or Peppermint.
- Groom your garden. Limit the leafy foliage in the yard such as ivy, tall junipers, bamboo and any other kind of plant that will harbor mosquitoes. Leafy foliage provides protection from the wind and sun while keeping the air within it humid, and will become preferred harbors for mosquitoes to rest and feed. In general, we recommend limiting foliage near your house to help prevent mosquitoes waiting close by to follow you inside.
- Frequently check for standing water. Standing water is ideal breeding ground for mosquitoes, and it only takes a small thimble-full amount of water for mosquitoes to lay eggs. Make sure to frequently tip over outdoor toys and other items, eliminate tarps, clean water out of gutters, fill tree holes and monitor drainage holes on property. Most mosquitoes don’t fly far from their larval habitat, so that it is why it is crucial to eliminate standing water and possible breeding grounds on your property.
- Dress to repel. Wear light colored, loose fitting clothes & long sleeves and pants. Dark clothing attracts mosquitoes, so be sure to wear light colored clothing when spending time outdoors. We also suggest you wear loose fitting clothes, because some mosquitoes can bite through tight-fitting clothing. If you wear long sleeves and pants when outdoors for a lengthy time, you will be able to block bugs from biting your skin.
- If you sip, you’ll find mosquitoes will suck. A 2010 French study revealed that beer drinkers are 30% more likely to be bitten by mosquitoes than those not drinking alcohol.
- Ditch the perfume and cologne. Fragrances, particularly, floral scents will make you more attractive to mosquitoes, so use your sense and ditch the scents when going outdoors.
These simple DIY pest control tips, will help greatly reduce the mosquitoes on your property. However, for the best results and for areas that have heavy mosquito populations, we recommend Mosquito Squad treatment:
- Standard Barrier Spray Treatment – reduces up to 90% of the mosquito population in your yard. Our mosquito barrier spray is extremely effective in reducing the mosquito population in your yard. This is a proven way to protect you, your children and pets from the nuisance of mosquito bites and the dangers of mosquito- and tick-borne disease. We offer seasonal packages or one-time sprays. For our seasonal service, we send spray technicians out every 21 days to treat your property. Most yards can be treated in about 15 minutes, though this varies by size and landscape.
- Automatic Misting System – installed system on your property automatically releases a 30-second spray 2-4 times daily and has a remote control allowing you to opt for additional or fewer sprays to suit your needs.
- Optional Stink Bug Treatment – an add-on service for customers who have an infiltration of stink bugs, the invasive species of bugs that has dramatically increased in the mid-Atlantic region and become a common pest.
- Natural Spray Option – for those who prefer to avoid all synthetics, our all-natural spray is an ideal alternative. The natural option needs to be applied every 14 days, due to the solution.
Mosquito Squad of Howard County & Montgomery County is a locally-owned niche pest-control company that helps you take back your backyard and enjoy your outdoor living space! We offer solutions to rid your property of mosquitoes, stink bugs and ticks, including our barrier spray service, automatic misting systems, and special event sprays. Call us at (301) 888-5713 to get a quote and find out how you can enjoy the outdoors and protect your family & pets from mosquitoes, ticks and diseases like West Nile Virus and Lyme Disease.