School is almost out and the weather is heating up fast. That means there’s lots more outdoor time in your family’s future. It also means warnings about ticks and the diseases they can carry are ramping up. However, don’t let these scare you. Information is a great tool for safety.
This article placed online by Fox Carolina News gives you an in-depth look into tick types, diseases, habitats and more. The more you know about your surroundings the better you can prepare yourself when you venture outside. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when planning any outdoor adventure:
When headed out:
- Tuck pants into boots or socks
- Wear light-colored clothing so that ticks are noticeable
- Use FDA registered repellent on your skin and clothing
- Avoid areas of tall grass
When returning home:
- Remove clothing immediately and place in a hot dryer for 30 mins.
- Wash clothes next
- Shower and do a full body check for ticks
How to check for ticks:
- Start from the ground and work your way up
- Check between toes and at beginning of leg hair then work up
- Check all crevices and warm moist places, including groin area and belly button.
- Continue on to breast and armpit
- Check behind ears, hairline, and in hair
- Those with thick or long hair may want to get help checking thoroughly
If you do find a tick remember the rules of safe removal and be sure to save the tick in a baggy with the date and location when it latched on. If you become sick, this could speed up diagnosis. Simple everyday habits can play a big part in protecting you and your family from tick bites.
At Mosquito Squad of Greenville we know we can’t be with you when you are out enjoying nature, that’s why we try to provide as much information as we can. However, we can be a hands-on part of your tick control at home. Our barrier treatment will eliminate 85-90% of the adult ticks in your yard on contact and our tick tube systems are vital for year-round, long-term tick control.
Call us today at (864) 362-2013, we’d love to tell you more about what we can do for you!