You may have done the smart thing and treated your backyard to prevent ticks and mosquitoes from ruining your good time, but that doesn’t mean that you won’t get bitten at a friend’s big backyard BBQ you are planning to attend over the weekend. If you do happen to be made a snack at your friend’s house, don’t worry. Here are some tips you can use to remedy that awful itch using items you already have lying around (and feel free to pass along our number so you aren’t made a snack on a return visit.)
- Baking Soda: Not just to keep your cookies fluffy, baking soda is probably the most versatile item you have in your house but is sadly underused. You can create a paste from baking soda and warm water, then apply it to the affected area. Let it sit until it hardens then wash off with warm water. Then go make cookies.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: We’ve all had that one recipe that calls for apple cider vinegar but we don’t know what else to use it for. Here’s the answer! Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and use medical tape to hold it in place until the pain stops. Then think to yourself it really was worth the couple bucks to buy it.
- Aspirin: Another utility player in your medicine cabinet, aspirin is perhaps the more respected of the pain killers. Grab one and wet it under the tap, then rub the wet aspirin over the bite to coat the area. Wash with warm water after it dries, and save the rest because you never know when you’ll need it.
- Toothpaste: Did you know that toothpaste isn’t just for whitening and freshening? You can use any non-gel based toothpaste to fight a mosquito bit as well. Just add a dollop on the bite, let it sit overnight and it will dry the bite out.
- Deodorant: And finally, if you don’t have this item handy we don’t want to know. Rub a non-gel, non-scented deodorant over the bite and it should fight the bite within a couple of minutes, killing the itch and cooling the burn.
Always remember your DEET spray for those times you head to places without the protection of Mosquito Squad. We hope these remedies bring relief for the itchy bites, and as you know, we love referrals, so be sure to pass along our information--because we are the best mosquito control in St. Louis!