This month is one of our favorite national observances – it’s National Pest Management Month! This annual awareness month is designated by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) to recognize the importance of pest control professionals, and it has been celebrated for more than 30 years.
April is a time when everything in the great outdoors begins to wake up from the cold winter and come to life – unfortunately, that includes more than beautiful spring flowers and adorable baby bunnies. It also means that pest activity increases, so this month is the perfect time to honor the professionals in the pest control industry. These specialists play a key role in keeping families safe and healthy and protecting their property and homes from pests.
The pest control industry in the U.S. has played a significant role in mitigating threats from insects, and the NPMA has been supporting the industry in this fight since 1933. Pest control is one of those services that no one really thinks about until they need it. And when they need it, they’re incredibly glad to have it! As pest control professionals, we at D.C. Mosquito Squad are always standing by, ready to answer the call when Washingtonians have a pest-related emergency.
Our pest control technicians are trained to safely apply a wide range of treatments in various locations — from office buildings to backyards — to control pests like ticks, mosquitoes, stink bugs, ground bees, and more. Our team knows how to handle any outdoor pest threat!
Over the years, we have started to see a growth in the number of invasive species that are causing problems for homeowners in our region. Unfortunately, this means that more and more people need help managing their pest populations.
Pests are more than just an annoyance. They pose all kinds of health, safety, and financial threats to homeowners. Here are just a few examples of the most common issues that pests can cause:
- Mosquitoes, ticks, and other biting or stinging insects can carry deadly diseases such as Zika, West Nile, and Lyme disease, and some can also cause allergic reactions from stings — more than half a million people end up in the emergency room each year because of stinging insects.
- Cockroaches carry allergens, which are known to trigger asthma attacks.
- Termites cause more than $5 billion in property damage each year as they chew through wood beams, walls, floors, and even wallpaper.
- Stink bug infestations are a major nuisance, and they require a specific course of treatment to eliminate.
Without pest control specialists, homeowners would be on their own in dealing with these dangerous and annoying intruders.
During National Pest Management Month, homeowners should take some time to pest-proof their property to prevent infestations before they occur. Here are a few simple steps the NPMA recommends:
- Seal cracks and openings around the home’s foundation.
- Eliminate standing water around the property.
- Keep kitchens clean of crumbs, empty the garbage frequently, and keep all food sealed.
- Don’t leave out pet food dishes for long periods of time.
- Install screens on all windows and doors, or check for holes in existing screens.
- Be on the lookout for signs of infestations (such as swarmers, or winged termites) and call a pest control company immediately.