Lyme Disease Affects Us All
If it had not been for the “bullseye” rash, I wouldn’t have even known that a tick had bitten me. The infected tick had fallen off days or possibly weeks before, but there it was. Seeing that expanding rash, I then knew that the achy, blah feeling was not just some summer bug I had caught: a bug, in the form of a deer tick (Ixodes scapularis), had caught me! I had contracted Lyme Disease. This was in the summer of 2012, and am happy to report that I have since made a complete recovery. For me, since I help treat yards to prevent ticks and mosquitoes from injuring families, it was easy to pinpoint where I picked up the infected tick– a property inspection.
Lyme Disease’s Mystery
Lyme Disease is a mystery in many ways. Because I had the tell-tale rash, it was also easy to diagnose and positively treat. Not everyone is as fortunate. It is important to understand though, that the rash is not present over 20% of the time. Combine this with the fact that Lyme Disease can many times mimic other illnesses with its symptom list of fever/chills, body aches, swollen lymph nodes, a vastly larger segment of society may be suffering from Lyme Disease, without even realizing it.
The Best Defense
Prevention becomes the number one way to protect yourself from contracting Lyme Disease. It is widely acknowledged are our best defense. There are some easy, important, and simple steps that you can take to decrease your risks. We here at Mosquito Squad of Greater Washington DC truly care about our community. Like you, we also, want to be able to use and enjoy our yards without fear. Here are some helpful tick prevention tips we recommend:
- Keep compost and debris piles clear from play and dining spaces. Adult ticks natural habitat consists of damp, cluttered areas. Ticks thrive in moisture and do not do well in dry heat.
- By having a well-trimmed yard versus a wilderness wonderland, you eliminate the “questing” point for ticks. Ticks will perch with their back legs on long grass or branches and hold up their front legs, ready to grab on and scurry up the leg or arm of any creature, be it dog, cat, deer, or human. Their favorite latching places are armpits and the groin. No long grass means no place to quest from.
- Ticks have known hideouts. Some of their favorite places are fences, brick walls, retaining walls, including walls that are also used as seating areas on your deck or patio. Check these spots regularly for ticks and “clutches.” A clutch is a mass of up to 2,000 tick eggs.
- Pets can not give you Lyme Disease, but they can bring ticks into contact with your family. It is important to use preventative care with your pets as well, especially dogs since they can contract Lyme Disease.
- Call the pros for a barrier treatment spray. An effective spray will eliminate live adult ticks on contact.
The Mosquito Squad Solution
Thankfully, we offer effective Montgomery County MD tick control. It’s a personal commitment, for my wonderful team of trained professionals to protect your landscape from these predatory invaders. Ticks can live somewhere else other than our yards. Myself and many of our friends and neighbors, including college-aged kids and vibrantly healthy individuals, have also suffered from the debilitating effects of Lyme Disease. To eradicate up to 85% – 90% of the adult ticks on your property, we use an EPA-registered barrier spray that we apply every three weeks to offer continuous protection all season long. Combined with our tick tube program, which takes care of larval and nymph ticks in rodent dens, this provides a very strong defense against ticks which carry harmful illnesses. Mosquito Squad of Greater Washington DC leaves you with peace of mind to enjoy your yard throughout the spring and summer and well into fall.