We feel you.
All of us at Mosquito Squad of Greater Atlanta hate mosquitoes as much as you do.
That's why we are the #1 mosquito control company in Greater Atlanta.
But our clients continually ask us, "How long do mosquitoes live?"
Our short answer, "Too long."
The Annoying, Frustrating Life Span Of Mosquitoes
Knowing the different stages of a mosquito's life will give you a better understanding of "how they tick" and help you prevent mosquitoes from driving you crazy around your home and throughout your yard.
It will also help you choose the right ways to control them.
All mosquito species go through four distinct stages during their life cycle:
1. Egg: Hatches when exposed to water. That is why it is critical to eliminate standing water around your home.
2. Larva: This is the "wriggler" that lives in water. Its revolting self molts several times and eventually surfaces to breathe air.
3. Pupa: Known as the "tumbler," it does not feed. This is the stage just before it emerges as an adult.
4. Adult: At this point, it flies a short time after emerging, and its body parts have hardened.
The first three stages occur in water, but the adult is an active flying insect—only the female mosquito bites and feeds on the blood of humans or other animals.
Think Of It As Girls Gone Wild In The Animal World
Now that we know the female is the real blood-sucking monster in this game of warm weather madness, here's how she does that dastardly deed.
After she bites us to obtain a blood meal, the female mosquito lays the eggs directly on or near water, in soil or at the base of some plants in places that may fill with water. The eggs can only survive dry conditions for a few months. So, the lesson here: KEEP IT DRY, FOLKS!
The eggs hatch in water and a mosquito larva or "wriggler" emerges. The length of time to hatch depends on water temperature, food and type of mosquito.
The larva lives in the water, feeds, and develops into the third stage of the life cycle called, a pupa or "tumbler." The pupa also lives in the water but no longer feeds.
Finally, the mosquito emerges from the pupal case after two days to a week in this stage.
The life cycle typically takes up to two weeks, but depending on conditions, it can range from 4 days to as long as a month.
The adult mosquito then emerges onto the water's surface and flies away, ready to begin its lifecycle and reign of human terror.
What Does The Mosquito Life-Cycle Have To Do With The Rapid Exponential Mosquito Population Growth In Atlanta
If it seems that each year Atlanta mosquitoes go from very few to millions overnight, you, unfortunately, are not just imagining it.
Mosquitoes have a particular life cycle that allows them to populate quickly as soon as conditions are right. With females laying 100-200 eggs at once in water or wet areas, and the development from egg to the adult taking less than a week in optimal summer conditions – early intervention can mean the difference between hundreds of mosquitoes or hundreds of thousands of mosquitoes.
Say Goodbye To Mosquitoes As Soon As Possible Starting With A Spring Mosquito Control Treatment For Optimal Results All Season Long
At Mosquito Squad of the Greater Atlanta area, we might say that we play a game of percentages. We can reduce the mosquitoes on your property by up to 90%. If you start with 100 mosquitoes, the results will be far fewer mosquitoes than if you start with thousands or millions.
While we can and will whittle away your mosquito infestation, the worse it is, the more treatments it will take before you get the optimal reduction.
Our goal is to get our clients signed up for treatment for the entire mosquito season. This allows us to treat your property when the first few active mosquitoes emerge from their winter slumber.
By eliminating 85-90% of those mosquitoes, you get a head start in your summer-long mosquito control efforts. Stopping early-season mosquitoes from spawning by the hundreds and thousands is ideal.
If you're ready to reduce mosquitoes on your property, call us today at 770-504-4494 to request a free mosquito control quote. The sooner you call, the sooner we can get started and make your mosquito problem a thing of the past.
Local Greater Atlanta Risks With Mosquito-Spread Diseases
Although they interfere with our warm weather enjoyment outdoors all to often, that, unfortunately, is not the worst of it.
They're killers. Literally.
From Malaria to Zika, West Nile Virus, EEE, and Yellow fever, the realities, and complications of the mosquito-borne disease can be overwhelming.
Moreover, while many of the world's most deadly mosquito diseases are rarely found locally – you simply can't ignore the possibility entirely.
Each year, several mosquito-borne diseases show up in the local Atlanta mosquito populations. The Atlanta region's primary threats come from the West Nile virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, and LaCrosse virus.
Mad As Hell? Don't Want To Take It Anymore? Get The Royal Treatments From Mosquito Squad
So here's the good news, mosquito haters, Mosquito Squad of Greater Atlanta has three ways to stop mosquitoes on contact and keep them away for up to 21 days. That's why regularly scheduled treatments are critically important for virtually mosquito-free living.
1. Traditional Mosquito Barrier Treatment: The gold standard in Atlanta mosquito control, since 2005, our Traditional Barrier Treatment has been countless mosquitoes' worst nightmare. By applying our effective mosquito control treatment around your home and backyard, we can kill and keep mosquitoes away for up to 3 weeks.
2. Natural Mosquito Treatment Option: Like our Barrier Protection Treatment, our Natural Treatment effectively repels mosquitoes (and ticks, too!). The only difference is the frequency of recommended sprays. When it comes to our Natural Mosquito Treatment, we recommend having our specialists re-treat your property every 21 days. This will keep your landscape protected against mosquitoes all season long! Our all-natural mosquito control formula is non-toxic, non-synthetic, aromatic, and pet and child friendly.
3. Special Event Sprays: Wouldn't it be a pleasure to be able to take our acclaimed mosquito control with you on the road? Well now you can. If you are planning an outdoor wedding, graduation party, family reunion, neighborhood picnic, or another special outdoor event, Mosquito Squad will protect you there, too. Our Special Event Sprays will keep mosquitoes off your guest list. Here's how it works. Prior to that big day, we'll lay down a barrier treatment that controls mosquitoes and ticks. This is the same highly effective system we created in 2005 and have used over 2 million times to help people just like you. It is designed to comply with local and federal guidelines, and all ingredients are registered with the Environmental Protection Agency.
Our Special Event Spray will significantly reduce the number of mosquitoes that bite guests and hover over food. We mist before food and dinnerware arrive so there is no opportunity for contamination. Once applied, our Protective Barrier Treatment dries within 30 minutes and leaves no odor or visible residue. Notably, the mist will last the entire duration of your event so the celebration can continue into the night!
Ready To Fight The Good Fight? We're Ready To Show You The Way
Help yourself reduce mosquitoes on your property any time of the year by following the 7 Ts of mosquito control. And if you're ready to NOT have to worry about mosquitoes, call our team today to request a free quote for Atlanta mosquito control services. Reach us at 770-504-4494 or click right here.