We’ve all heard the theories of how to soothe those itchy, annoying mosquito bites once we have them. At Mosquito Squad, we believe that effective mosquito control is the best way to avoid mosquito bites, but what if you do get bitten? Here are some interesting ideas on how to stop the itching before those bites drive you crazy.
- Baking Soda – From cleaning to keeping your refrigerator fresh, the uses for baking soda around the home are endless. To soothe mosquito bites, make a thicker paste out of baking soda and water. Dab it onto the bite. You can also shake some baking soda onto the bite after a shower and rub it in.
- Lemons – Rubbing a slice of lemon on a mosquito bite can stop the itching at the moment, and, because lemon is a disinfectant, it will help prevent you from getting any infections from the bite.
- Aloe – I’ve always used aloe as a way to heal sunburns, but they can also be used to soothe itching from insect bites. If you have an actual aloe plant, just cut a piece off the leaf and squeeze the aloe gel right out of the plant. If you don’t have an aloe plant, it is sold as most pharmacies and grocery stores.
- Mud – If you are outdoors, you may not have vinegar or lemons easily available, but if you have dirt and water, you’re good. Mud could be used to soothe those itchy bites by producing a cooling effect that temporarily relieves itching. You can put some mud on the bite and allow it to dry. Make sure to wash it off with water once it dries.
- X – To be honest, I used to do this as a kid and never knew why, but I thought it worked. Press a letter X into the bite with your fingernail. Apparently, this diffuses the protein that causes the itch for a little while.
- Toothpaste – If you have peppermint toothpaste in your medicine cabinet, dab a little bit on your mosquito bites and let it dry.
Does Vinegar Help Bug Bites?
Vinegar can help with bug bites by mitigating the pain, specifically itching and burning. Vinegar is also a natural disinfectant, so if you’ve been scratching your bite, vinegar can help. For extended relief, soak a cloth in a mix of cold water and vinegar, then apply to your skin.
While Mosquito Squad can help you avoid mosquito bites in your yard, you may get them in other outdoor areas. If anyone else has an idea on how to relieve mosquito bites, let us know.